THOMAS AND LORENA WILSON HOUSE
c. 1895, c. 1995
Prominently located at the southwest corner of Pickard Lane and East Rosemary Street, this two-story, side-gabled Queen Anne-style house is three bays wide and double-pile. The house has plain weatherboards, wood shingles in the gables, partial cornice returns, and a wide gable centered on the façade. It has eighteen-over-one wood-sash windows on the first-floor façade, three four-light windows in the front gable, and replacement vinyl windows throughout the rest of the house. The double-leaf two-panel door centered on the façade has a three-light transom. It is sheltered by a hip-roofed porch that wraps around the left (south) elevation and is supported by chamfered square columns with decorative sawn brackets and a replacement turned railing and a later shingled gable, constructed after 1992, centered over the porch entrance. The house has two interior brick chimneys, a pedimented dormer on the rear (west) elevation, and a projecting, one-story, hip-roofed bay on the first floor right (north) elevation. A second-floor room projects from the left elevation, resting on the porch roof, with a later metal fire stair on its south elevation. A one-story gabled wing projects from the right rear (northwest) with a series of one-story, shed- and hip-roofed additions to its left. The house was constructed about 1895 for Thomas and Lorena Wilson [Little]. The railing, matching an original railing in the 1974 photos, and porch gable were added afer 1992.
In the 2015 survey, this was deemed a Contributing Building.
SOURCE: Heather Wagner Slane, National Register of Historic Places Nomination: Chapel Hill Historic District Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation, Orange County, OR1750 (Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office, 2015), courtesy of the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office.