LOUIS ROUND WILSON HOUSE
This two-story, hip-roofed, Colonial Revival-style house is three bays wide and double-pile. It has weatherboards on the first floor, wood shingles on the second floor, twelve-over-one wood-sash windows, and windows on the first-floor façade. The one-light-over-five-panel door has ten-light-over-one-panel sidelights and a three-part transom. It is sheltered by a full-width, hip-roofed porch supported by grouped square columns with an original matchstick railing. Paired casement windows centered on the second-floor façade have geometric panes. There are two hip-roofed dormers on the façade, each with a six-over-six window, and two interior brick chimneys. The two-story, hip-roofed sleeping porch on the left (west) elevation dates to the 1920s or 1930s. Second-floor windows on the sleeping porch were replaced with the current casement windows between 1974 and 1992 and the first-floor windows were installed after 1992. A one-story, hip-roofed wing on the right (east) elevation has an inset porch supported by a square column. The house was constructed in 1911 by Louis Round Wilson, a librarian at the University of North Carolina for whom the Wilson Library was named [Little]. It was owned by the Wilson family until 1989.
In the 2015 survey, this was deemed a Contributing Building.
SOURCE: Heather Wagner Slane, National Register of Historic Places Nomination: Chapel Hill Historic District Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation, Orange County, OR1750 (Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office, 2015), courtesy of the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office.