1937, c. 1980, c. 2000
This sprawling house has a one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled core with projecting wings. The center section is three bays wide and double-pile with three gabled wall dormers on the façade. It has a stone foundation, plain weatherboards, six-over-six wood-sash windows, and an exterior brick chimney in the left (north) gable end. The replacement one-light French door, centered on the façade, has a classical surround with dentil molding on the pediment and fluted pilasters. A one-story, side-gabled hyphen on the left elevation connects to a one-story, front-gabled wing with a full basement level. The wing has six-over-six windows, a chimney in the rear gable, and a bay window on the left elevation. To its left, just behind the bay window, is a basement-level, side-gabled hyphen that connects to a front-gabled, frame garage wing. The garage, which has been converted to an apartment with a 214 Spring Lane address, has a stuccoed foundation, weatherboards, high windows on the façade, and an inset entrance on the left elevation. On the right (south) elevation of the main section, a one-story, side-gabled hyphen replaces an earlier side-gabled wing and connects to a one-story-with-basement, front-gabled wing with eight-over-eight windows, and basement-level patio doors on the façade. County tax records date the building to 1937; the building first appears on the 1949 Sanborn map as a one-and-a-half-story dwelling with a small wing at the left. The front-facing wing at the right was added between 1974 and 1992. The one-story garage wing at the far left was constructed after 1992.
In the 2015 survey, this was deemed a Contributing Building.
Front-gabled frame shed has weatherboards, four-over-four wood-sash windows, a 5V metal roof, ten-light French doors on the south elevation, and an open, shed-roofed bay on the east elevation. In the 2015 survey, this was deemed a Contributing Building.
SOURCE: Heather Wagner Slane, National Register of Historic Places Nomination: Chapel Hill Historic District Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation, Orange County, OR1750 (Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office, 2015), courtesy of the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office.