This one-story, side-gabled, Craftsman-style house is three bays wide and double-pile with a shingled exterior and interior brick chimney. The house has exposed sawn rafter tails, decorative purlins and bracing in the gables, and grouped nine-over-one wood-sash windows. Projecting bays with triple windows flank the center entrance and there are replacement six-over-one windows in the gables. The one-light-over-three-panel door has matching sidelights and is sheltered by a full-width, inset porch supported by full-height shingled piers with a low, shingled knee wall between the piers. A low gable with an arched spandrel marks the porch entrance. A one-story, shed-roofed bay projects from the left (west) elevation and there is a one-story gable ell at the left rear (northwest). Set below street level, there is a basement-level entrance on the right (east) elevation, a stone retaining wall at the sidewalk, and a second stone wall across the front lawn. County tax records date the building to 1914 and the building appears on the 1925 Sanborn map, the first map to cover this part of Franklin Street.
In the 2015 survey, this was deemed a Contributing Building.
SOURCE: Heather Wagner Slane, National Register of Historic Places Nomination: Chapel Hill Historic District Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation, Orange County, OR1750 (Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office, 2015), courtesy of the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office.