402 Hillsborough Street

HOUSE
c. 1922
This two-story, side-gabled, Colonial Revival-style house is three bays wide and double-pile with plain weatherboards, six-over-one wood-sash windows, a wide fascia, partial cornice returns, and an exterior brick chimney on the left (north) elevation. The house has a six-panel door with five-light sidelights centered on the façade. It is sheltered by a two-bay-wide, hip-roofed porch with replacement porch posts and railings that wraps around the left elevation. On the right (south) end of the façade, a one-story, canted bay projects under a gabled roof; windows on the bay are separated by wood pilasters. There is a two-story projecting bay on the left elevation and the house has boxed eaves and a single window in each gable. County tax records date the building to 1922 and the house appears on the 1925 Sanborn map.

In the 2015 survey, this was deemed a Contributing Building.

GARAGE
c. 1980
Front-gabled, frame garage with weatherboards and exposed trusses and screening the gables. In the 2015 survey, this was deemed a Noncontributing Building.


SOURCE: Heather Wagner Slane, National Register of Historic Places Nomination: Chapel Hill Historic District Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation, Orange County, OR1750 (Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office, 2015), courtesy of the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office.

Images

Map

402 Hillsborough Street