410 North Street

c. 1850, late nineteenth century, c. 1915
About 1915, the Episcopal Rectory was moved to this site (now two parcels) and separated into three buildings, 408, 410, and 412 North Street, set back from the road and arranged around an open front yard. At the center of the cluster of three cottages, 410 North Street is a one-story, side-gabled house that is three bays wide and two bays deep. It has wood shingles, paired four-over-four wood-sash windows, and a five-panel door centered on the façade that is sheltered by a shed roof on heavy sawn brackets, added when the house was moved. A wide, shed-roofed addition extends across the rear of the building and a chimney was removed from the building after 1992.

The Episcopal Rectory was built about 1850 and had only two rooms. In the late nineteenth century, two wings were added, each with two rooms, giving the house a general “H” shape. In approximately 1915, the house was moved from its original location on Rosemary Street to North Street and separated into a trio of small (two-room) cottages, which appear on the 1925 Sanborn map.

See also 408 and 412 North Street.

In the 2015 survey, this was deemed a Contributing Building.

SOURCE: Heather Wagner Slane, National Register of Historic Places Nomination: Chapel Hill Historic District Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation, Orange County, OR1750 (Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office, 2015), courtesy of the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office.



410 North Street