412 North Street

c. 1850, late nineteenth century, c. 1915
About 1915, the Episcopal Rectory was moved to this site (now two parcels) and separated into three buildings, 408, 410, and 412 North Street, set back from the road and arranged around an open front yard. On the east end of the site, 412 North Street is a one-story, side-gabled cottage that is five bays wide and single-pile with German-profile weatherboards, one-over-one wood-sash windows, and partial cornice returns. The one-light-over-three-panel door is centered on the façade and flanked by narrow windows. It sheltered by a three-bay-wide, shed-roofed porch, constructed when the house was moved to this site, that is supported by square columns with a Chippendale-style railing.

The Episcopal Rectory was built about 1850 and had only two rooms. In the late nineteenth century, two wings were added, each with two rooms, giving the house a general “H” shape. In approximately 1915, the house was moved from its original location on Rosemary Street to North Street and separated into a trio of small (two-room) cottages, which appear on the 1925 Sanborn map.

See also 408 and 410 North Street.

In the 2015 survey, this was deemed a Contributing Building.

SOURCE: Heather Wagner Slane, National Register of Historic Places Nomination: Chapel Hill Historic District Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation, Orange County, OR1750 (Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office, 2015), courtesy of the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office.



412 North Street