Ernest and Helen Thompson House
500 Church Street
One of the largest historic houses in the Northside neighborhood, this two-story frame Craftsman-style house features German siding on the first story and wood shingles on the second. Its wide eaves have decorative brackets. Original twelve-over-one wooden sash windows illuminate the house. The wraparound porch has brick and frame posts. An original two-story side wing adds to the house’s size. The house was built for Ernest Thompson, a post office worker. In 1957, the owner-occupant was Mrs. Helen Thompson, the widow of Ernest Thompson. She worked as a hospital nurse in Durham.
SOURCE: M. Ruth Little, The Town and Gown Architecture of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1795-1975 (Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 2006), 219.