303 Pritchard Avenue
The five houses that make up the western side of the 300 block of Pritchard Avenue, in the white section of Northside east of Church Street, are the most intact group of 1920s houses in the neighborhood. All of the houses are in place on the 1932 Sanborn map of Chapel Hill. 303 Pritchard Avenue, the only two-story house on the block, was owned and occupied by James M. Tilley, an engineer with Southern Railway in 1957. The weatherboarded house with a hip roof is predominantly Craftsman in style; its wide eaves have decoratively exposed rafter ends. The entrance with transom and sidelights, sheltered by an entrance porch with classical columns, is a Colonial Revival feature.
Sources: Gatza, Survey file; 1957 City Directory.
SOURCE: M. Ruth Little, The Town and Gown Architecture of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1795-1975 (Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 2006), 214-15.