232 Glandon Drive

Site of one of the first houses in the subdivision, built in 1924 for Ralph and Hazel Trimble by contractor Charlie Martindale. Ralph was a professor in the School of Engineering at UNC and surveyed the lots for the original Gimghoul subdivision. The house was demolished in 1987.

The current house was constructed shortly after the 1993 survey as county tax records date the building to 1993. It is a one-and-a-half-story, hip-roofed French Eclectic-style house with brick veneer, diagonal sheathing on the hip-roofed dormers and under the porch. The house has paired four-panel doors sheltered by a two-bay-wide inset porch supported by square columns. Two hip-roofed, partially-inset dormers on the façade have a single four-over-four window each. There is a one-story, hip-roofed wing on the east elevation and a one-story, gabled hyphen on the west elevation connects to a one-story, hip-roofed wing with multiple projecting hip-roofed bays. There is a hip-roofed dormer on the rear elevation and an attached, hip-roofed garage at the left rear (southeast) is accessed from Evergreen Lane.

In the 2013 survey, this was deemed a Noncontributing Building.

Front-gable frame garage apparently built at the same time as the original house. Has been demolished since 1993.

SOURCE: M. Ruth Little, National Register of Historic Places Nomination: Gimghoul Neighborhood Historic District, Orange County, OR0709 (Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office, 2013, via HPOWEB, accessed 8 Jan. 2020), courtesy of the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office; Heather Wagner Slane, 2013 Survey Update (NCSHPO HPOWEB 2.0, accessed 10 Jan. 2020); courtesy of the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. 



232 Glandon Drive