St. Paul AME Church
101 North Merritt Mill Road
St. Paul AME Church is a late-nineteenth-century sanctuary. The congregation, founded in 1864, is the oldest African American congregation in Chapel Hill. A school built for freedmen by the Quakers at the end of the Civil War stood next to the church but has been demolished. The frame Gothic Revival–style church building of 1892 has a front-gabled main block, a corner entrance tower with bracketed eave, and Gothic-arched stained glass windows. The building was brick-veneered in the twentieth century. Its one-story brick annex at the rear was constructed in 1954.
SOURCE: M. Ruth Little, The Town and Gown Architecture of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1795-1975 (Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 2006), 223.